Monday, April 17, 2006

You' re Being Audited!

You’re Being Audited!
There are certain words and situations that fill your heart with fear. They include:

Principal’s office (if are 10 years old)
Root Canal (if you have teeth)
Tax Audit (if you are over 40 and still even have your teeth)

A few weeks ago we got that special letter from the IRS telling us we are being audited for 2004. 2004! I can’t remember what I had for breakfast last week much less than where I drove two years ago. People tell me that is why you are supposed to keep records and receipts.

I do keep receipts. I’ll have you know that I have a very sophisticated filing system for receipts. It’s called pants pockets. If I don’t remember to take them out on laundry day, then I give new meaning to the term, money laundering. Thus, God in His infinite wisdom, paired me with a wonderful wife with the spiritual gift of record keeping. So we pulled into the Federal Building in downtown Portland last Wednesday with a huge box of receipts, record books, and a whole heap of prayer.

The tax office was not at all like I pictured in my mind. It didn’t look or smell like a dungeon. There were no torture racks, bed of nails or thumb screws. The tax auditor was not green and he didn’t even have fangs.

I even felt a bit sorry for the guy. Tax auditors and preachers have something in common. We are a part of those fun professions that tend to kill conversations (or start heated ones) at parties. If you see a group of people laughing or talking in a group, just tell them you are a funeral director, tax auditor or a preacher. You will be amazed at what it does to conversation.

I also felt sorry for the auditor trying to explain the federal income tax code to me, which is kind of like explaining algebra to a cocker spaniel—only my tail was not wagging.

So as Joni and I sat for four fun filled hours while he ransacked our returns, my mind turned to scripture. The passages in the Bible about weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth seemed to make more sense to me. But in the midst of it all, I remembered Bible verses that come in very handy in situations like this.

Isaiah 41:10--“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Psalm 9:9--“The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.”
Philippians 4: 13--“I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”

Joni and I prayed before we went in and were praying constantly through the ordeal. We had lots of friends and family praying for us. We have good financial people in our church who do a great job. Bob, and Dorys and Greg are awesome. Our accountant, Dick, is going to appeal the ruling, and he is good to have in our corner. We have a church family that loves us and held us up in prayer.

When we face those trials of life, we have the assurance of God’s love through the scriptures, the promise of deliverance through the power of prayer, and comfort from our Christian brothers and sisters.

Even in the principles office!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home