Thursday, January 11, 2007

Lost in Section C

I’m excited about our new youth minister, Darin. During his first two weeks with us, we had many, enriching, bonding experiences. We’ve had lunch together. We’ve gone out for coffee. We’ve lost my car in a hospital parking lot. I might need to explain that last one.
We were visiting Carol Finney at Providence Hospital this past week. We had a good visit, even saw Dan Reece who was also visiting up there as well. (Our small group leaders are amazing!) Daren and I went back downstairs and were promptly sucked into the coffee shop on the first floor. (we’re both coffee brothers) Being now fully awake and alert, we found the parking loot. That’s about all we found
The parking structure at Providence has six levels from A-F. They all look alike. They made the silly assumption that preachers can remember which level they parked their car on. Restaurants now give you little coaster like things that blink, flash or sound an alarm when your table is ready. Why can’t they do this for parking garages? At least they could come up with more creative ways to identify their parking lots. This would help some of the brain dead clergy who park in them.
In Disney land, you can park in easy to remember sections. They have Disney character names like Pluto, Mickey Mouse and Donald Trump. Last year on vacation, our family parked in Pinocchio. I can remember that a year later. So why can’t I remember where my parked my car at a hospital?
I think it would be cool if they could decorate each parking level with a different theme. So Darin’s and my conversation would go like this.
“So, Darin did we park in Spiderman, or in the Unicorn lot?”
“Actually Bob, I think we parked in the NFL section. Your car is located between rows Seahawks and 49ners.
No, our actual conversation went like this.
“ I think we parked on level B.”
“Or was it C?”
“Do you think it was D? I was pretty sure it wasn’t E”.
You get the idea. I just needed a flashing neon sign that said
“Hey, moron! Your car is right here!” No such luck.
Keep in mind you are dealing with two guys that could get lost in an elevator. After we arrived at the hospital, we found the green elevators (they are color coded). We had to go to the second floor. I like elevators. It’s hard to get lost in those. Or so I thought. We climbed on with about a half dozen other people. I pushed the number two. And we waited. And we waited. The door didn’t close. Nothing happened. Someone joked “maybe we are overweight.” Darin got out to try pushing the button from the outside. The doors suddenly closed and we entered the Twilight Zone. We all got out on the second floor and I stood waiting for Darin to catch the next car. I waited, and waited.
Cells phones are a wonderful invention. I called Darin.
“Hey, where are you at?”
“I’m in the elevator, it’s not moving”
Knowing our luck that day, Darin would likely end up in Seattle or somewhere. Finally the elevator door opened (on the OTHER elevator) and Darin emerged, unharmed. We were off to visit Carol, and we were glad we weren’t on the psychiatric ward.
After losing my car and my youth minister all in one day, I’m so glad God is easy to find. Isaiah 55:6 says Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.” Isaiah 41:10 reminds us, “ So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
We can’t lose or misplace God. He is always with us, ready to help, ready to assist, ready to be there. He is like the VISA slogan, “he’s everywhere you want to be.”
If you are lost, call on God. He will help you find your way.
Even in parking garages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home