Monday, June 18, 2007

Boring Movie Night!

It was such a promising night at the Laver Household. All the kids were gone for the weekend. Joni and I went to a favorite local video store and we each chose a movie. Joni‘s movie was a classic chick flick. Mine was more action/adventure. We watched her movie on Friday night and mine on Saturday evening.
Her movie started with a sad premise. The heroine’s finance died, and she moves into his house with his three roommates. Then an ex girlfriend shows up with a kid. The finance’s mom was doing something with a wedding ring. There is a fly fishing subplot, but these are all city people. Are you confused so far? So were we! We kept wondering, “How long is this stupid movie going to go on?”
But now I had bragging rights. My movie would be superior. It was a manly movie, not some chick flick. This one was about the CIA. It had two well know actors in it. One even won an Oscar for his role. But, half way through the movie, neither Joni or I had the faintest idea what was going on. We finally turned it off, halfway through the movie (something I rarely do).
This usually doesn’t happen to me. I’m sort of a movie buff. I never rent a movie without doing research on it. I look at websites such as screenit.com, and others that help explain the plot, characters, etc. I also talk to friends, read reviews, etc so I know what I’m watching. It prevents a Boring Movie Night.
Unfortunately, many people read the Bible like Boring Movie Night. People open the Bible and start reading without knowing the story, the plot or the main characters. They eventually shut the Bible and say “wow, that was boring.”
Do some research! Websites such as crosswalk.com, biblestudy.org, and bible.org are helpful in getting background on Bible books, Bible stories and Bible themes. A low tech approach would be looking at your church library, (or your pastors library) for books that will help you get more out of your Bible study. Call your small group leader or pastoral staff. We stand ready to help you. Get a hold of a study Bible and read the study notes.
God uses the longest chapter in the Bible, Psalm 119, to talk totally about the benefits of the Bible. Verse 11 says “Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” Verse 50 says “This is my comfort in my affliction, that your word has revived me.”
The Bible is not meant to be a boring movie. It is meant to be a thrill ride and a rollercoaster cinematic adventure, that you wish would go on forever. Do your homework, pray, start to read or listen to the scripture and get ready for the time of your life.
As for movies, next time I’ll try a comedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home