Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Who Let The Boys Out





     If you now have a song running around in your head I accomplished my purpose.  I had a fun time two weeks ago.  I was a “Camp Grandpa” for the First Chance Camp at Camp Koinonia.  It was my granddaughter, Jehnayia’s, first year for camp and I went along to help.  My duties were to assist with music and be in charge of the boys cabins.  I had several high school counselors who did an amazing job in the cabins.

     It’s been a few years since I have been a cabin dad (Grandpa).  So, picture yourself with about a dozen second and third grade boys.  They were great guys and we had no problems.  They are just “all boy.”

     By the end of the week, our cabin had the not so delicate aroma of wet swimsuits, sweaty socks, and dirty underwear.  I’ve done camps for over 30 years, so that was no surprise. However, I still marvel at the concept of “Rest Time.”  These boys couldn’t sit still for 20 seconds much less lay on their bunks quietly for an hour.  Bear in mind the A frame cabins had no windows, so when the lights were off our cabin was  completely dark.  This brings me to another camp mystery--flashlights.  We have kids bring them so they can get safely to the bathrooms at night.  They are also able to do strobe light shows during rest time. They mix the light show with a contest of who can scream the loudest while they leap from bunk to bunk and literally hang from the rafters.  One thing my father gave me was an authoritative, military, “The voice.”  It worked well. The cabin was quiet.

     As I reflect on the week, the story in Luke 18 comes to mind.  Jesus is teaching and parents bring their children to Jesus.  It was customary for parents to bring their children to a famous rabbi for the teacher to bless them.  Jesus was happy to do this.  Every picture I’ve seen of this story shows the little child, still and quiet as he slowly walks toward Jesus.  The artist obviously never had kids. I suspect the scene would be more like this:

     “Judah, quit playing with the donkey and get over here.”
     “Hold still, we are seeing Jesus.”
     “Judah, let go of the donkey’s tale.”
     “Put that donkey pie down now.”
     “Do NOT throw it!”

     I think the disciples had just spent a week at church camp.  They weren’t too crazy about the kids coming to Jesus either.  Jesus on the other hand says, "Let the children come to me.  I tell you the truth anyone who does not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will not enter it.”

     I suspect the kids in that story gave Jesus a flower they picked or an unusual rock they found.  They were noisy and wiggly. They were curious and excited.  They were likely running in circles. I’m sure they gave Jesus a hug.  They asked Jesus to feel their muscles.  They would ask Jesus to see the newest cartwheel they mastered, or hear a song they made up.  Picture the God who created the heavens and the earth, playing “Duck, Duck, Goose” with a group of children.

     Come closer to Jesus today.  Don’t be timid.  He can’t wait to get closer to you.  Run with open arms. Hug His leg, laugh, run and be silly. The Savior of the world is waiting for you.

     And the aroma of heaven is a lot sweeter than sweaty socks or wet swimsuits! 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home