Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Who's Stopping You?

Picture someone kneeling beside their bed, praying. A figure appears in the room and startles the person praying. Let’s listen in on their conversation.

“Who are you?”
“I’m an angel.”
“Aren’t you supposed to have wings or something?”
“Not all of us. Besides, I’m here to give you a message.”
“Did I win a million bucks?”
“Dream on. You need to go to church, the one down the street.”
“I can’t go to THAT church!”
“Why not?”
“Because of the people!”
“Like who?”
“Okay, there is Lucy Lifestyle. You know her reputation around town. She lives one way on Sunday and then lives it up all the other days.”
“So, if she is such a bad person, where should she be?"
“Okay, so she should be in church. But what about Henry Hurtmyfeelings?”
“What about him?”
“He hurt my feelings! I can’t go to church. What if HE’s there?"
“So, have you talked to him about what he said to you?”
“Are you kidding? Of course not.”
“How is he supposed to know that he hurt your feelings?”
“You’ve got a point.”
“Thank you.”
“But what about Dorrie Dress-up? Have you seen what she wears to church?”
“Look who’s talking, Miss T-Shirt and Jeans.”
“Hey, don’t judge me!”
“Don’t judge her!”
“Okay, okay, but how about Rhonda Roudykids? Have you seen how her kids behave? Those brats are a distraction to everyone”
“But they are precious to God.”
“Sure, I know that. What about Wanda Whiner? She always needs something. The church is always helping her with something."
“That’s wonderful. I’m so proud of that church”
“But she’s so whiny and needy.”
“So who else can she turn to? You know she has no family.”
“You’re not going to listen to any of my excuses are you?”
“You’re a Christian right? “
“I hope so. I’m trying to be.”
“Then you need to be in church, no matter who goes there. Churches are full of imperfect people who are trying to be more like Christ.”
“Just like me.”
“Just like you.”
“But what about Charlie Cheat, or Tony Tactless, or…”
“Guess.”
“I should pray for them and go to church.”
“Correct. Besides, I have news for you. I can think of a half dozen people who don’t go to church because of YOU!”
“Me! Someone doesn’t go to church because of me? Why?"
“Do you really want me to tell you? You’re smart. You can figure it out. Your name is Judy Judgment you know.”
“What can I do?”
“I’m going to go talk to those other folks. You just quite judging people and get to church. They need you and you need them. You keep praying”
“Thanks for the conversation. I’ll do better. And I’ll be in church this Sunday.”
"So will I. I’ll see you there!"

So, who’s stopping YOU? Who are you stopping?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home